Sunday, August 8, 2010

First day of school!!!

Well hello all! I know I haven't written much but life has been moving at a million mph (or kph in Bangladesh)! I'm very excited to get this year going!In a couple short hours I'm hopping on a bus,headed off to school! An hour after that it's off to teaching! Amazing!It's been fun familiarizing myself with the English National Curriculum. I might be spending lots of time writing engaging lessons. I teach Science levels, 3,4,5,6,8,9 tutor 3 math students and I handle library!

I started writing this last Monday but we lost power so I didn't get to finish :D Life is good but busy. The first week of school was a blur. I'm getting used to the British way of doing things and I rather like it. Planning takes up a lot of time but I'm sure that will lesson a bit as the year progresses. I think it will take a bit till I get a handle on things. The students are amazing which is great. They fly through stuff and I love it! Lots to say apart from school though.. Hmm where to begin...

How about my Apartment (or flat:)
I share a 4 bedroom apartment with my fellow science teacher Sam. Together we make up the Science department of Grace. It's rather nice with 3 bathrooms and spacious living areas. I'll eventually give the video tour but at the moment we need to get things sorted (more British jargon:) We have a housekeeper named Benjamin who is also a great cook! We had pork chops the other day :D The AC works as long as we have power but the fans and lights and 4 power sockets in the flat work on generator power. We don't have a stove but our microwave is a convection oven that works! I will show you some pics of the apt...


Like my messy bedroom...(waiting for furniture and it's clean now)


Orrr my pink bathroom

This is our dining area...

More to come later.
So there were a couple of things I was confused about first of all, one day this was sitting on our counter...



So I think to myself... hmmm this is weird. Where did that come from. It turns out the people that lived here before were from Grand Rapids! Small world!

Lots more to say but I'm dead tired. I had a crazy day which I will explain perhaps tomorrow!

1 comment:

  1. This is my favorite post. :) You should write more like these. I'm glad you are finally adjusting to everything. It sounds like you're having a lot of fun. Your students are really lucky to have you. Keep working hard. I'm proud of you and your dedication to the students there. Miss you!

    ReplyDelete