Friday, November 5, 2010

Craziness

So as I was walking home tonight, a rickshaw driver tried to offer me a cigarette and drove his rickshaw into the curb stopping it abruptly. We shared a brief multicultural laugh before I said "sorry, no need" in my very limited bangla before rounding the corner home.

A couple weeks ago I had the amazing opportunity of going to the Bondarbans. It is a place very unlike the rest of Bangladesh. So different in fact, you need your passport to get there. In reality they want to make sure they know who is going in and out but anyway it was simply wonderful. Several pics on facebook is you care to see them. While we were there we met a missionary and his adopted parents staying at the same "resort" (not your typical resort). They were there assessing the needs of nearby villages before heading off to Myanmar. At night we'd get together and worship and pray. It was a great time of fellowship and these folks were truly a blessing to us. During prayer, one of the missionaries called us missionaries. It's easy to think of a missionary as someone who goes out to villages, or to some island that no one has been to before, and learns a new language to reach those people. I'm simply a teacher in another country. Or am I? A friend said it best in saying that we as teachers in a Christian international school, that has students from many different faiths and countries, can have a huge impact on these students. Some of these students will grow up to be leaders in their country. We're also serving the mission families so that their children can have a quality education without the need to home school. I feel very blessed to be here! God is good!

Anyway I've decided to help Sangu the former rickshaw wallah a place to give him a loan and cosign for it. This will give him ownership of his vegetable stand, while giving me the opportunity to help him manage his money. There's still a lot of details that need to be worked out but hopefully we can get the ball rolling soon.

Anyway, it's sleepy time! I'm recovering from what I believe to be food sickness.

Oh I almost forgot! On the way back from the Bondarbans we got interviewed for desh tv at a checkpoint on the way out. The show aired tonight and we watched it. Myself and two others said things that got on the air It was cool!

1 comment:

  1. I am so excited to join you in 53 days! Keep changing the world. :)

    ReplyDelete